Sunday, April 15, 2012

Deep Dish Caramel Snickers Cookies


There are certain things a person can say or do that immediately let me know I could never really be friends with them.

I mean, I'm sure I could get along with them at work or discuss the weather with them in an elevator. And I probably wouldn't mind if they were my neighbor or my hairstylist or my barista.

But a relationship with any more depth than that? Just wouldn't work out.


I know... it seems harsh. But I really don't think it's possible for me to truly bond with someone who doesn't share my core values and beliefs. In case you're wondering, this pretty much rules out anyone who...

  • uses the phrase "don'tcha know?" and isn't trying to be funny.
  • waits in line at an ATM and doesn't prepare their transaction until it's their turn.
  • thinks Nicholas Cage is a good (or even mediocre) actor.
  • doesn't think about stabbing themself in the eye during this commercial.
  • enjoys waking up before 8am.
  • chooses not to eat dessert because "they're not hungry."
  • enjoys any show that airs on truTV.
  • feels anything other than intense hatred toward spiders.
  • has any version of this on one of their car windows.
  • doesn't think Paranormal Activity is the worst movie of all time.
  • forgets to eat... ever.
  • misuses the word literally.
  • buys a sweatshirt like this when they go on vacation.
  • doesn't like chocolate and peanut butter together.
  • buys a vowel on Wheel of Fortune when they already know the answer.
  • likes this song, even a little bit.
  • changes lanes without signaling.
  • puts ranch dressing on pizza.
  • can watch this without smiling.

Now that I've inevitably offended everyone reading this and insinuated that I'm incapable of truly bonding with most of my immediate family, I'd like to make a peace offering.


Cookies, anyone?

Deep Dish Caramel Snickers Cookies
Adapted from Not Without Salt and Inspired by Cookies & Cups

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 package Fun Size Snickers (11 oz), chopped

Directions:

1.  In a small saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar. Heat until boiling, then simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Watch the mixture carefully--sugar can scorch quickly!

2. Transfer the butter-sugar mixture to a large mixing bowl and allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Once the mixture is cooled, whisk in the eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the salt, flour, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir just until combined. Stir in the chopped Snickers.

3. Chill the cookie dough for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a whoopie pie pan with nonstick spray. Line each cavity with a parchment paper circle.

4. Scoop 1/4 cup of cookie dough into each cavity of the pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and the centers are almost set. Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Makes 12 large cookies.

7 comments:

  1. No doubt these cookies are a delicious mouthful! I mean who would not want any cookie that was "deep dish"? Outside of that, an all time favorite candy bar has been incorporated-yum! Your pictures here are so enticing, I am sure these disappeared quickly at your house. A great one for the cookie jar! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well first of all I'd like to say you have already ruled me out of the bond's list several times. Sorry we can never be friends... lol

    You said you don't photograph really well but those pictures look really good. And the cookies were delicious indeed. Thanks for bringing goodies to work. I enjoy them! (as long as there's no cinnamon :p )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I can make an exception on some of these list items for YOU, Lea! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, what a beautiful peace offering!
    But! I have to say that if you never watched Wild at heart, Raising Arizona or even Kick-ass, you can't say such a thing about monsieur Cage. I mean:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEz-cwJxtu8

    Anyway, thank you, this recipe looks like heaven in a smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the first two you mentioned, but I did see Kick-Ass, which I guess wasn't SO terrible... And while I'm backtracking, I'll also admit that It Could Happen to You is one of my favorite movies :)

      Delete
  4. I really want to make these for a cookie competition, so I'm wondering how nice they are. I don't mean to offend you, I am sure they taste lovely, but would you say these cookies are 'up there' and are the best you have EVER tasted, they looks so yummy though, ''dontcha think?'' ;)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I would say these are definitely up there with the best cookies I've ever had! They are the perfect combination of crispy, chewy, and gooey! Best of luck :)

      Delete