Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Buttercream


9 truths and 3 lies about The Nonpareil Baker:

1. I was voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in my high school yearbook.

2. I've never colored my hair.

3. My middle name is Amanda.


4. When I was four years old, I was featured in the local newspaper by a photographer who was impressed when I walked up to the counter at Dairy Queen and ordered my own french fries.

5. My favorite cupcake flavor is chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream.

6. I can say the alphabet backward as quickly as I can say it forward.


7. I once tried to steal an extra toy from the reward box at the dentist's office because I couldn't decide which one I wanted.

8. I've never been skiing or snowboarding.

9. Stephen and I met while standing in line for a roller coaster.


10. My first name was inspired by one of the main characters from a popular 80's sitcom.

11. I was the editor-in-chief of my high school's newspaper.

12. These chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes are one of the best things I've ever eaten.


What am I lying about? Make your guesses in the comments!
(Hint: #12 is no lie.)

Bonus truth: During a recent bout of the stubbornness English bulldogs are known for, Charlie bit my finger. It's been swollen for three days... and yes, it's still hurting.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
with Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Buttercream
Adapted from Tidy Mom and Bake at 350

For the cupcakes:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 & 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips

For the filling:

1 package ready-to-bake cookie dough, chilled

For the frosting:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
8 ounces powdered sugar (about 2 cups)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 & 1/2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

2. Make the cupcakes. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter for about 1 minute at medium speed. Add the brown sugar, and continue creaming until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes more. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.

3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small liquid measuring cup, combine the milk and vanilla extract. With the mixer running at low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture alternately with the milk. Once all the ingredients are incorporated, increase the speed to medium and beat for about 30 seconds. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Press about one tablespoon of ready-to-bake cookie dough into the center of each filled muffin cup. The package of cookie dough I bought had 24 portions that were about a tablespoon each, so I just used one unbaked cookie per cupcake. If your package of cookie dough is portioned differently, just divide it up into tablespoons yourself. Make sure the cookie dough is cold before you use it, otherwise it will bake inside the cupcake.

5. Bake the cupcakes for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

6. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar for about 1 minute at medium speed. Add the powdered sugar and salt, and mix at low speed until all of the sugar is incorporated. Add the milk and vanilla and mix for about 15 seconds more at low speed. Increase the speed to medium and beat for about 2 minutes, or until the frosting is light and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Makes about 12 cupcakes.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I'm going with 3, 8, and 9 as lies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg these look crazy delicious! I've added your blog to my blog list. Love it!

    ReplyDelete