Sunday, November 6, 2011

Peanut Butter Candy Bar Squares


Ostensibly, these bars are the solution I'm offering for those of you looking to get rid of unwanted Halloween candy. But considering that I'm posting this almost a full week after Halloween, I guess it's pretty obvious that I just wanted an excuse to bake something with peanut butter candy bars in it.

Besides that, since when is Halloween candy something that people don't want around? That's just silly, if you ask me.

Even though I knew I wasn't going to get a single trick-or-treater, I went to the store on Halloween and bought candy so I could make these bars the next day. I figured I should buy it while it was still on sale.

"But, Allix, wouldn't the candy have been even cheaper on the day after Halloween?"

Oh. Yeahhh.


Imagine my dismay when Safeway was out of fun-size Butterfingers on Halloween! Are people really this last-minute with their candy purchasing? I was under the impression that most people started buying Halloween candy the day after labor day, ate their way through 5-10 bags of it before Halloweekend even arrived, and then bought a bag of that really crappy candy to give out to trick-or-treaters so that they could keep hoard all the good candy for themselves.

No? Just me then.

P.S. Who decided that the term "Halloweekend" was a good idea? I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Anyway, these bars? They're serious. They are peanut butter on top of peanut butter on top of peanut butter, with a few chocolate chips thrown in for good measure.

Don't let a lack of leftover Halloween candy deter you from making these. Christmas (!!!) candy works just as well.


Peanut Butter Candy Bar Squares
Adapted from Bake or Break

1 package (16 oz) Nutter Butter cookies, crushed
1/2 cup butter, melted
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
25 miniature peanut butter cups, chopped
7 fun-size Butterfinger candy bars, chopped
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9-inch pan with aluminum foil and coat with nonstick spray.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together the crushed cookies and melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, and bake for 6-8 minutes.

3. In a small bowl, combine the condensed milk, peanut butter, and vanilla. Whisk together until smooth.

4. Sprinkle the chopped candy bars and chocolate chips evenly over the baked crust. Drizzle the peanut butter mixture evenly over the candy bar layer.

5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Makes about 20 bars.

As I mentioned in my last post, I didn't dress up for Halloween this year. It's probably for the best, since I'm pretty sure I maxed out my potential for Halloween cuteness the year this photo was taken:


I'm the bunny to the left of the ninja turtle. No biggie. I'll just quit while I'm ahead.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment