Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins with Spiced Crumb Topping


You knew it was only a matter of time before the onslaught of pumpkin recipes began, right?

For the past five days, I've been struggling to think of some words to write about these muffins that would convince you that you need to try them. Here's what I came up with:

Pumpkin. Cream cheese. Muffins.




Convinced?

While these were baking, I may or may not have occupied my time by swiffering the floor while listening dancing and lip syncing to songs like this, this, this, this, and this.

I know how it is. You're not going to click on every one of those just to find out how ridiculous I really am. But at least click on the second to last one. Trust me. Then you can wonder along with me how something like that was EVER cool.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

For the muffins:

1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For the filling:

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

For the crumb topping:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Directions:

1. Make the filling by combining the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl and stirring until smooth. Scrape the mixture out onto a piece of plastic wrap at least 12 inches long. Form the mixture into a 12-inch log, wrap tightly, and freeze for at least two hours.

2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

3. Make the crumb topping by using a fork to combine the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and melted butter in a small bowl.

4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine the sugar, canned pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir gently with a spatula just until completely combined.

5. Remove the cream cheese filling from the freezer and cut it into 12 one-inch pieces. Divide the muffin batter evenly among the muffin cups. Press one piece of the cream cheese filling into the center of each muffin, then sprinkle each muffin with about one tablespoon of the crumb topping. Gently press the topping into the batter to ensure that it sticks.

6. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center muffin comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for about five minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 12 muffins.

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. It's better than this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJwgP44Ap9E .... haha... You're hilarious! btw, the cream cheese and spiced crumbs! I'm convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I definitely remembers LOVING that song when The Lion King came out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. these look incredible. definitely trying soon... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful recipe!! I altered it a bit to make it a little healthier: reduced-fat cream cheese; applesauce instead of oil; Splenda instead of sugar in the muffin part; a little granola sprinkled on top instead of the crumb topping. I tried one once it was cool enough to eat, and although it stuck to the paper pretty good (my experience with Splenda-rized recipes is that it takes about 24 hrs. of "sitting" for the paper to release well), it tasted absolutely scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you able to freeze these muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so yummy! Even after I realized that I had no canned pumpkin and had to use applesauce as an emergency substitution instead! However, mine taste more like Spice Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling and Spiced Crumb Topping :-) Still delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Carrie, that sounds amazing! I will have to give that a try one of these days :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this awesome recipe! I LOVE all things fall and pumpkin : ) I really did not want to wait 2 hours for the filling to chill, so I just chilled it in a bowl in the freezer while I made the batter and topping. I filled the muffin cups half way, then scooped about 1/2 a tablespoon of filling on top, and topped them with the remaining batter and they turned out great! I would even make these without the filling if I didn't have cream cheese on hand because they were that good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What convinced me to to try these was your use of 'music' while they were baking! :) Loved this recipe!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That's awesome! I'm glad someone appreciated my ridiculous music choices!

      Delete
  9. I made these and they are soooo yummy!! I only had one and the hubby took the rest to work. Got rave review!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made these twice now and they are so amazing! I definitely made more crumbly topping than the recipe called for because I just can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are amazing! I've made them twice now and I know that I'll be making them again and again. I made them for a party and they were a huge hit!

    Here's the link to my post about the party: http://notevenclosetomartha.blogspot.com/2013/01/pajama-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these last night and they are AWESOME. Definitely will be making these several times a year for the fall treat swaps, etc.

    ReplyDelete