Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Maple Oat Scones


When I was 18, I worked at a grocery store Starbucks. The grocery store was pretty busy, which meant the Starbucks usually was too. On Saturday mornings, we usually had a perpetual line of customers from 6 am until noon without a single break.

But I'd say that one of the hardest parts of that job was staring at the pastry case all day and trying not to eat everything in it.

At the time, my favorites were the raspberry twist and the cranberry orange scone.
And the almond bear claw.
And the toffee almond bar.
And the cinnamon twist.
And the chocolate cream cheese muffin.
And the maple oat scone.

Can you see why this was a problem?

Not that we were allowed to eat a single crumb without paying for it. We couldn't even take home the pastries that were leftover at night; we just had to throw them away.


One night, I had a particularly strong craving for a maple oat scone. It was half an hour before closing, which was usually when we emptied the pastry case. As I was throwing away the leftover scones, I decided to take just a small bite. And right at that moment, a customer walked up to the register to order.

Of course, I didn't want her to see that I was eating something because not only was I not supposed to eat the pastries without paying for them, but also I wasn't supposed to eat period while I was working. So I figured the best thing to do was to try to swallow it as quickly as I could.


Bad idea.

I immediately started choking. The customer just stared at me, not sure what was going on. I needed water. I tried to grab a cup and ended up knocking over half the stack in the process. Finally, I was able to take a few sips and dislodge the scone from my esophagus.

By that point, my eyes were watering and my voice was hoarse. The customer looked horrified. I tried to act like I wasn't completely humiliated. "Sorry about that. What can I get for you?"

Despite this experience, I have no ill feelings toward maple oat scones. And since Starbucks stopped making them, I decided to make some for myself. The scone itself has the subtly sweet flavor of brown sugar, maple syrup, and oats, which pairs perfectly with the not-so-subtly-sweet maple glaze.

I'm not ashamed to say that I ate two three of these yesterday. Without incident.


Maple Oat Scones
Adapted from Eating Out Loud

For the scones:

1 & 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oatmeal, finely ground
1/2 cup oatmeal, coarsely ground
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, chilled
1 egg
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream

For the glaze:

1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons maple extract

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Combine the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cube the butter, and add it to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender (or clean hands), cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the pieces of butter are pea-sized or smaller.

2. In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream, egg, and maple syrup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until combined. Do not over mix. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead it until it holds together.

3. Pat the dough into a 7-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Cut the circle into eight wedges, and carefully place the wedges onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops and sides of the scones with an egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon heavy cream). Bake for 20 minutes.

4. While the scones are baking, prepare the glaze by whisking all of the glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl. If the glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar; if it's too thick, add more cream. Once the scones have cooled completely, spoon about one tablespoon of glaze over each scone. (If you don't wait for the scones to cool, they will absorb the glaze). Use the back of the spoon to spread the glaze evenly over each scone.


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. haha... I've been there! 18, working in a bakery who chugs leftovers to the bin, sneaking a bite or 2... out of the trays and trays of leftovers! The worst was when I had to throw away a perfectly good looking WHOLE cake, with strawberries and whip cream and all.... it was so painful! These scones look amazing! They always have a way to look healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what you mean--it felt so wasteful! i work at a bakery now, but we donate our leftovers and we're allowed to take them home if we want to! that isn't always the best situation for my hips though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're one of my favorite story tellers. This had me laughing out loud, seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always the hips... -nods- always.... -nods-...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm glad you finally got some maple scones :) These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete