Wednesday, August 17, 2011

S'more Brownies


I know. I made a huge deal about breaking up with summer last week, and this week I'm bandying about pictures of s'more brownies. I may be a hypocrite, but I'm a hypocrite with brownies... so I think I'm still coming out ahead.

The best thing about s'more brownies is that they're almost as easy as making regular s'mores. Especially if you use a boxed brownie mix. Which I'm not saying I did... but I'm also not saying I didn't. So, I guess I'm a noncommittal hypocrite. But if you have the time, I recommend using my favorite brownie recipe. Once you have the brownies taken care of, the rest will take care of itself. As long as you can open a bag of marshmallows and operate a broiler. If you can't... then I guess that makes me a judgmental, noncomittal hypocrite.


Before you make these brownies, you should be aware that there are at least two rules for eating them:
  1. You must wait until they are completely cool before you cut them. As a strong proponent of eating brownies while they're still warm, I hate asking you to do this. But if you don't, you're going to end up with a sticky marshmallow-y mess. Nobody wants that. I think a good compromise here would be to cut a small, innocuous piece out of the corner for yourself while they're still warm. No one has to know.
  2. After you cut them, you must reheat the one (or two?) you're going to eat in the microwave, or preferably the toaster oven. In order for these to taste like actual s'mores, the marshmallow has to have a crispy shell and a gooey inside. Obviously.
Those are the facts of life, s'more brownie edition. I think you can handle it.


S'more Brownies
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

For the graham cracker crust:

3 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 24 graham crackers)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

For the brownies:

Your favorite brownie recipe, or mine

For the topping:

1 bag mini marshmallows
Additional graham crackers, broken into pieces

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with two pieces of aluminum foil placed perpendicularly, one on top of the other. Allow the foil to hang over the pan about two inches on each side. Coat the foil with nonstick spray.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham crackers crumbs, granulated sugar, and salt. Stir in the melted butter with a spatula, making sure that all of the crumbs are moistened. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and use a spatula to press the crumbs into an even layer. Bake the crust for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

3. While the crust is baking, prepare your chosen brownie recipe. Once the crust is finished baking, pour the brownie batter over the crust, and spread it into an even layer. Bake according to your brownie recipe's directions.

4. As soon as the brownies are finished baking, switch the oven to broil. Pour the mini marshmallows on top of the brownies and spread them into an even layer. Place the pan back in the oven for one to two minutes. Do not walk away from the oven; the marshmallows will go from toasted to burnt in a matter of seconds, so make sure you pull the pan back out as soon as the marshmallows are slightly charred.

5. Immediately after removing the pan from the oven, gently press the additional graham cracker pieces into the marshmallow layer. Cool the brownies completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment