Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever



Sooo.

Remember that time I said my life was complete because I had found the perfect guy, the perfect brownie recipe, and the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe? Well, it turns out I was wrong about one of those things.

But don't worry... It's the chocolate chip cookies. Stephen's still pretty perfect.


After I made what will now be referred to as the second best chocolate chip cookies ever, I didn't feel the need to try any other chocolate chip cookie recipes. I was letting sleeping dogs lie... because I know that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And any other cliché that applies.

But lately, since I haven't had as many bricks of cash lying around as usual, I've only been able to bake things for which I already have all the ingredients. And that pretty much limits me to chocolate chip cookies.

Last week, I tried to adapt a recipe from King Arthur Flour, which I was going to share with you... but it didn't go exactly as planned:


So this week, I turned to the always trustworthy Alton Brown. And as usual, he did not disappoint. His recipe gave me everything I've ever wanted in a chocolate chip cookie but never thought I could produce at home. They're perfectly crispy on the outside, perfectly chewy on the inside, and they have the perfect ratio of white to brown sugar.


They are the best chocolate chip cookies ever... for real this time.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Alton Brown

2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix together just until completely combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

3. For large cookies, scoop the dough into 1/4 cup portions and space about two inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. For smaller cookies, scoop the dough into portions of about two tablespoons.

4. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for about two minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

After the cookies are cool, you might also want to do this:


4 comments:

  1. This really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my ISO 22000 Training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cook for 15-17 minutes? way overdone! all crisp and no chew. I recomment maybe 12 minutes max.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! These are amazing :) I made them tonight, because I was craving chocolate chip cookies. They are so good! Thank you sooo much for this recipe! :)

    Highly recommended Westport Fishing Charter Salmon

    ReplyDelete