Friday, July 22, 2011

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins


Netflix is slowly taking over my life.

It started out innocently enough with two seasons of 24. Halfway through the third season, I realized that I'd rather stab myself in the eye than endure another forty-three minutes of Jack Bauer almost dying. And the Allstate guy? Just plain distracting.

So, I moved on to Grey's Anatomy. I was sucked in immediately, and I managed to cram seven years of Meredith and McDreamy into six short weeks. Not to mention the same aerial shot of I-5 and the Seattle skyline over and over... and over.


My current obsession is Desperate Housewives. I've already been warned that this show spirals downward fairly quickly, but for now I can't stop watching it. I'm enthralled by the suicides, the infidelity, the arson, the murders, the blackmail, the alcoholism, the hostage situations... and of course, the muffins.

Anytime someone new moves onto Wisteria Lane,  Bree Van de Kamp brings them muffins in a cute little basket. Actually, now that I think of it, any time Bree Van de Kamp goes to anyone's house for any reason, she brings them muffins. In a cute. little. basket.

Why hasn't this ever happened to me? We moved into our condo almost a year ago, and we have yet to receive a single muffin. Which is why I've had to resort to making my own. And you can bet that if I'm going to make muffins, I'm not going to mess around with blueberries or poppy seeds. My philosophy regarding muffins is that they should be as close to cupcakes as possible, while still being passable for breakfast food.

And so, dear readers, I bring you double chocolate chip muffins. You're just going to have to imagine the cute little basket.


Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from Alton Brown

2 cups all-purpose flour (9.5 oz)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (3.25 oz)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/4 cups sugar (9.5 oz)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and whisk just until the batter comes together. Do not overmix; the batter does not have to be smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Each cup should be completely full.

4. Bake on the center oven rack for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center muffins comes out clean. Immediately turn the muffins onto their sides to allow steam to escape from the pan. This will prevent the bottoms of the muffins from getting mushy.

7 comments:

  1. Muffins look delicious. And I know that obsession for Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives. I had obsession for Friends, Lost, M.D. House, Weeds and Cougar Town too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you on the desparate housewives front! it is a greatttt series, but it does get a little dragged out in areas. Still a laugh though. ANYWAY, back to your gorgeous muffins!! They look bakery-shop delicious, as in i seriously would buy one of these if it was plonked in front of me right now. Saving this one for sure, and being Alton Browns recipe, i have no doubt its a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I use to use a box muffin mix called Double chocolate chocolate chip muffin mix. Well, not any more as all the stores here no longer carry it. I would take the mix and add what was asked for then I would add an extra egg and 2 TBS of water. I called them "muffcakes" as they were a cross between muffins and cupcakes. I am going to do the same with this recipe and see how it goes. Regarding Alton, he is my all time favorite when it comes to cooking. He teaches the technique and gives other info while making the recipe. Who knew that flash frozen shrimp is as good as fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so damn good, definitely attempting these next week! Wow

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really good, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have to say, this is my go to recipe for chocolate muffins! Haven't even tried anything else! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the bomb. Like the other anonymous above me, I went looking for a recipe like this a year ago, and looked no further. I love that the batter amount is super generous rather than barely enough like most recipes. And weight measurements (thank you!) instead of just volume.

    ReplyDelete