Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chocolate Sheet Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Pecan Frosting


I'm kind of a sucker for recipes titled "The Best [insert food here] Ever."

I always think to myself... This is it. This person has discovered the secret to making the best [whatever] ever. How lucky am I to have stumbled across this recipe in all the vastness of the world wide web? I have to make this. I have to try the best [whatever] ever.

Usually, I'm underwhelmed. Not because the [whatever] isn't delicious. It just doesn't live up to the hype.

And actually, this doesn't just apply to food. Other overhyped things that my life has not been changed by include: Avatar, In-N-Out Burger, Beyonce's Single Ladies video, and Furbies.

Just kidding about the Furbies. But seriously, how annoying were those?


Pioneer Woman calls this "The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever." I don't know if I'm ready to jump on that bandwagon, but I do have a lot of nice things to say about it. You probably won't have to go to the store to buy ingredients. You won't have to lift your ridiculously heavy KitchenAid mixer onto the counter. You won't have to wash every bowl and utensil you own. And you will have plenty of time leftover to mentally prepare yourself for two hours of Ashley wondering whether or not "they're here for her" and talking about the "dot dot dot" at the end of her and Bentley's relationship.

Not to mention that this cake is actually really delicious. Especially the frosting.

Wait. Did I talk about the Bachelorette last week too? I think it's time for me to reevaluate the direction my life is heading.

The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

For the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the frosting:

1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup + 6 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
14 ounces powdered sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.

3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder, and stir to combine. Add the boiling water, and allow the mixture to boil for 30 seconds. Pour the chocolate mixture over the flour mixture, and stir just until combined.

4. In a measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the batter, and stir until completely combined. Pour the batter into a 13x18 inch pan and bake for 20 minutes.

5. While the cake is baking, make the frosting. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder, and stir to combine. Remove the pan from the heat, and pour the mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar to the chocolate mixture, and stir until completely combined. Stir in the chopped pecans.

6. Pour the frosting over the warm cake, and use a spatula to spread it evenly over the entire surface.

2 comments:

  1. Success is a choice not a dream. So, work hard for it and always be open-minded. Visit my site for more information. Have a good day and keep on moving forward for that success.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. I accidentally viewed your blog and I was so amazed with your work that it touched the deepness of my heart and it made me sentimental. Thanks for posting. Visit my site too.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete