Friday, January 28, 2011

Doughnut Muffins


I'm not really sure what it is I've made.

They look like muffins, but they taste like... well, nutmeg cake.

I have to admit, I really got my hopes up that these muffins were going to taste exactly like old-fashioned cake doughnuts. I thought that maybe through some kind of sorcery that would take place in my oven, I could make doughnuts without having to actually make them.


It's not that I have anything against real doughnuts. In fact, I think I've mentioned my ridiculous, unconditional, Jack-and-Kate-esque love for them. I was just hoping for a shortcut that wouldn't require me to break out my candy thermometer or figure out how to dispose of ten cups of vegetable oil.

Once I got over their failure to be doughnuts, I realized that these muffins are actually really delicious. Half of them I rolled in cinnamon sugar, and the other half I dipped in a vanilla powdered sugar glaze. Both were delicious, but I liked the glazed ones a little bit more... probably because of the rainbow sprinkles.

Maybe I just should have made doughnuts.



Doughnut Muffins
Adapted from King Arthur Flour

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 425˚F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.

2. In an electric mixer at medium speed, cream together the butter, oil, and both sugars 1-2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing completely after each one.

3. Reduce the mixer speed to stir, and add the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.

4. Add the flour and milk alternately to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.

5. Scrape the bowl with a spatula and ensure that all ingredients are fully incorporated. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Each cup should be nearly full.

6. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center muffins comes out clean and the muffins are light golden brown.

7. Cool the muffins about 5 minutes, or until you can handle them. Dip the top of each muffin in melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar, or dip in the glaze of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment