Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins


Have you read my About Me page yet? If you have, you probably won't be surprised to learn that I am the type of person who always has a plan. And even when I don't intend to have a plan, I usually end up making one subconsciously. This is just one of my many neurotic tendencies that my loved ones (read: Stephen) have learned to love (read: tolerate) about me.

Needless to say, I don't like it when my plans don't work out. I hate having to scramble, rush, or improvise at the last minute. At the very least, it's annoying and inconvenient. Take today, for example: Stephen and I had planned to get some onion rings at Sonic (yum!), see The Social Network, and pick out a plant for our new condo. Instead, Stephen got called into work. Annoying and inconvenient, right?


Once in a while though, things don't go as planned, and it works out for the better. Which brings me to these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. I had planned to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread, but I ended up with muffins when I ran out of time to bake the batter in loaf pans.

In this case, I can't really be upset about my plan not working out because these muffins turned out to be exactly what I wanted. They're loaded with bittersweet and semisweet chocolate chips, and the cinnamon and nutmeg perfectly complement the pumpkin. In fact, they are so delicious, they didn't even need the cinnamon powdered sugar glaze that I had planned to use. I did still drizzle it on top of a couple muffins though. You know, just for good measure.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from King Arthur Flour

2/3 cup shortening
2-2/3 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line two 12-cup muffins tins with paper liners or grease with nonstick spray.

2. Cream the shortening at medium speed for about 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar and continue to cream at medium speed until combined. Whisk together eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and water in a separate bowl. Add to the creamed shortening and sugar with the mixer at medium-low speed.

3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Reserve about 1/3 of this mixture, and add the rest to the wet ingredients at low speed just until fully incorporated.

4. In a small bowl, combine the reserved flour mixture with the chocolate chips, making sure that all chips are coated. Stir into the batter with a spoon. Note: The reserved flour mixture will help prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the batter.

5. Bake muffins at 350˚F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center muffin comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

6. If desired, drizzle with a cinnamon powdered sugar glaze made of 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, and 1-2 tablespoons milk.

1 comment:

  1. what a great blog!
    everything here looks so delicious!

    have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete