Thursday, September 2, 2010

Outrageous Brownies


You may recall that I made chocolate brownies just four weeks ago. Generally, my goal is to make something entirely new to me each week, but I am making two exceptions: chocolate chip cookies and chocolate brownies. Why? I am hoping to find my absolute favorite recipe for each of these universally popular treats among the thousands upon thousands that are out there.

I have to admit, I was pretty underwhelmed by the last brownie recipe I used. They were too thick and cakey. I prefer a brownie that is chewy with a flaky crust and about 1/2-inch thick. I have to confess, I actually love brownies that come from a boxed mix, and I am hoping to find a from-scratch recipe that produces the same texture and flavor.

This week, I chose Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies for two reasons. First, I already tried her Peanut Swirl Brownies, and I suspect that Outrageous Brownies are the same recipe, sans peanut butter. Second, this recipe has 150 reviews on Food Network's website and a solid five-star rating. I don't always agree with the majority opinion, but I decided to trust it on this one!


I'm much happier with these brownies than I was with the last ones I baked. They are intensely chocolate-y and almost melt in your mouth when you bite into them. My only complaint is that they are very crumbly, but I'm sure this is because I used large eggs instead of extra-large. I definitely recommend this recipe--just make sure you have someone to share these with because you're going to have a lot of brownies on your hands!

Outrageous Brownies
Adapted from Ina Garten
Yield: 20 large brownies

1 pound unsalted butter
28 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules (omitted)
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped walnuts (omitted)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Prepare a 12x18x1-inch baking sheet or two 9x13-inch baking sheets.

2. In a bowl over simmering water, melt together the butter, one pound of the chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.

3. In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, coffee, vanilla, and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and allow to cool.

4. In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of the flour, the baking powder, and the salt. Stir into the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and remaining chocolate chips in a small bowl with the remaining flour. Add this to the chocolate batter, and pour the batter into the baking sheet(s).

5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars or squares.

1 comment:

  1. I've made these brownies before, and they are SO STINKIN' GOOD!

    Feel free to send some my way - I'd be glad to take some off your hands! :]

    ReplyDelete