Thursday, August 12, 2010

Danielle's Chocolate Chip Cookies



Some things in life you just can't go wrong with. Waking up for work and realizing it's your day off, for example. Or finding a twenty dollar bill in the pocket of a coat you haven't worn since last winter. Okay, so that's never actually happened to me. Another thing you can't go wrong with is eating warm chocolate chip cookies. Now, that has happened to me many times, and one of those times was earlier today.



The recipe I used came from a friend of mine [Thanks, Danielle!], and it is unique in that it produces wafer-thin cookies. Wafer-thin?! Normally I wouldn't want those words anywhere near my baked goods, but these cookies are so delicious that I'm willing to make an exception. Their texture is the perfect balance of chewiness and crispiness, and they have an excellent chocolate-chip-to-cookie ratio. Plus, they're so thin you can justify eating more than one. I did, anyway.



In other sweet news, I visited Hello, Cupcake in Tacoma today. I fell in love as soon as I walked through the door; both the cupcakes and the store itself are beautifully simple.

I decided to try the Carrot, Coconut, and Red Velvet. My favorite was by far the Carrot. The cake was super moist, it had the perfect amount of spice, and the cream cheese frosting balanced the cake perfectly. Keeping in mind the stomachache I had after eating three cupcakes from Cupcake Royale, I only ate half of each of the Coconut and Red Velvet cupcakes.

The Coconut was delicious, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the mountain of coconut buttercream on top. It's pretty uncharacteristic of me to think that anything has too much frosting, but don't forget I had already eaten the Carrot cupcake when I formed this opinion! The Hello, Cupcake Red Velvet was much more chocolate-y than my first Red Velvet from Cupcake Royale, but it was just as delicious. I will definitely be a return customer!


Wait. Why are you still reading this? Go make these cookies. You can't go wrong!

Danielle's Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: About 4 dozen

2 cups unsalted butter
3 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line baking sheets with baking mats or parchment and set aside.

2. Cream butter until smooth; add sugars, and beat until smooth.

3. Beat in eggs and vanilla.

4. Into a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Slowly beat dry ingredients into wet mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.

5. Drop 2-3 tablespoons dough per cookie onto prepared baking sheets; space dough at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. remove cookies from baking sheets, and allow to cool on baking racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment