Thursday, July 8, 2010

Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins


As I said last week, I'm skipping my over-the-top "cheat" days for awhile, and I admit I have been a little disappointed all week thinking about how I wouldn't be baking something insanely decadent today. However, I was determined to find a recipe that would still be delicious, while not going overboard on calories. I decided on Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins from Cooking Light.

I haven't always loved peanut butter and jelly. I remember being at my aunt's house with my sister and three cousins when I was about five or six. My aunt was making lunch for all of us--peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I told her that I didn't like peanut butter and jelly; she told me that was too bad. And who could blame her? If I were making lunch for five kids, I wouldn't be taking special requests either. Besides, who doesn't like peanut butter and jelly?!

Anyway, my tastes have matured since then. I absolutely love peanut butter. In fact, I have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch every day. And let's face it--jelly sure doesn't make anything worse.

These muffins were definitely a success. I couldn't resist eating one about 30 seconds after I pulled them out of the oven, so the jelly was still warm, gooey, and delicious! They are not overly sweet or overly peanut butter-y. As Goldilocks might say, they are just right.

The only changes I made to the recipe were to use soymilk instead of nonfat and almond extract instead of vanilla. I definitely recommend the almond extract if you want the muffins to have a distinct nutty flavor.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
12 servings

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup strawberry jam

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.

2. Combine flours, sugars, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.

3. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla); add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

4. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with baking cups or sprayed with cooking spray. Fill each cup half full with batter.

5. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam into each cup. Spoon remaining batter on top to cover jam.

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Let col in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

Source:
Scarbrough, Mark. "Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins." Recipe. Myrecipes.com. 2007.

1 comment:

  1. I could never figure out why you never liked PB&J!!! I can picture that scene perfectly!! haha My mom's still like that. :)

    ReplyDelete