Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cupcake Royale

Source: www.facebook.com/CupcakeRoyale

Bad news: I didn't bake anything this week. Good news: I ate the most delicious cupcakes ever from Cupcake Royale in West Seattle! Cupcake Royale is one of the many cupcake bakeries I have been wanting to go to for quite some time, and today was the perfect opportunity since Stephen and I were already planning to go to Alki.

I knew before we even walked through the door that I would have trouble deciding which flavor to order. Should I go for something traditional or something I've never had? Vanilla cake or chocolate cake? Vanilla frosting or chocolate frosting? Ultimately I was unable (and by that, I mean unwilling) to choose just one. Neither was I able to choose just two. So, in the end, Stephen ordered the Royale with Cheese, and I ordered the Coconut Bunny, the Red Velvet, and the Classic. Yes, I ate three cupcakes. Don't judge me.

Third Place: The Classic (vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream)
I thought this would be my favorite of the three I ordered, since it is one of my favorite cake-frosting combinations. And make no mistake, it was delicious. I just liked it slightly less than the other two flavors I ordered. The cake itself was perfect, but I thought the frosting was a little too chocolate-y. Who knew such a thing was actually possible?

Second Place: Red Velvet
This was actually the first time I ever tried red velvet cake, and needless to say, I was not disappointed! My favorite part was the cream cheese frosting. The frosting wasn't overly rich, and it was the perfect compliment to the cake. This definitely will not be my last encounter with red velvet cake.

And the winner is... the Coconut Bunny! (vanilla cake with coconut buttercream) This cupcake was amazing. It tasted like a huge, soft, cupcake-shaped frosted sugar cookie. Everything about it was perfect. End of story.

I will definitely be returning to Cupcake Royale. Even Stephen said that it should become part of our yearly Alki tradition, and he isn't nearly as obsessed with baked goods as I am. Bottom line: you need to taste these cupcakes. Good luck picking just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment