Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bread Pudding


Today I decided to make bread pudding, which is something I had never eaten before, let alone baked. I used Paula Deen's recipe for The Best Bread Pudding. After looking through dozens of recipes, I chose this one because it combined several flavors I love: brown sugar, pecans, and vanilla.

I'm not really sure what to think about how it turned out. Since I've never had bread pudding before, I don't know what consistency it's supposed to have, but mine was mushier than I was expecting. Also, the sauce didn't turn out well at all. It consists of butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and brandy, although I used rum extract instead. The rum flavor was way too overpowering (I'm sure I used too much), and I must have done something wrong because the end result didn't look like a sauce at all. I felt like I was pouring rum-flavored melted butter all over my dessert.


I guess I'd have to say this recipe was a flop; it's one of the only desserts I've ever thought was too sweet. The best part was definitely the brown sugar and pecan topping. Then again, I would be happy eating brown sugar all on its own.

Although I was underwhelmed by how my bread pudding turned out, I was very pleased with the Pillow Cookies I made earlier. The recipe came from bakerella.com, and I've been thinking about it every day since I first saw it. What are Pillow Cookies, you ask? Pillow Cookies are what you get when you place 1-inch fudge brownie squares inside 1/2 cup balls of chocolate-chip cookie dough and bake them until golden brown. They are insanely delicious.

I'm certainly glad that I made them today, because today is my last "cheat day" for the next 4 weeks. I really don't like the term "cheat day," but I don't know what else to call it. Planned indulgence? Splurge day? Day-necessary-for-keeping-my-sanity? I digress.

Anyway, I stick to an eating plan six days per week and eat whatever I want one day per week. But lately I've started to get a little out of control on that one day, especially since I started baking on a regular basis. I've managed to maintain my goal weight for the past year, and I certainly don't want to gain any back, so I've decided to skip my "cheat day" for the next four weeks. Also, I've discovered that buying ingredients for all these recipes can get quite expensive, and I certainly don't have a lot of money to spare these days.

The point of all this is that I may not be baking for the next few weeks, and if I do, I will probably be choosing healthier recipes for which I already have the ingredients. I'm thinking about trying some healthy muffin recipes that were posted on My Food Diary, which is the website I use to track my nutrition and exercise. I would definitely recommend it as a tool for anyone who wants to lose weight! Paula Deen's bread pudding, on the other hand, may not be as helpful in that department.

The Best Bread Pudding
Prep: 10 min Cook: 50 min
8-10 servings

Bread Pudding:

2 cups granulated sugar
5 large beaten eggs
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups cubed Italian bread, allowed to stale overnight
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans

Sauce:

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup brandy

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan

2. Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed braed and let sit for 10 minutes.

3. In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.

4. Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.

5. For the sauce: Mix together the granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. Add the brandy, stirring well. Pour over bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.

Source:
Deen, Paula. "The Best Bread Pudding." Recipe. Foodnetwork.com. 2007.

1 comment:

  1. Please do not give up the bread pudding. There are wonderful recipes out there for New Orleans bread pudding and/or white chocolate bread pudding from taste of home mag.
    I enjoyed reading your page.
    Thanks,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete