Thursday, July 15, 2010

Banana Bread


I don't like bananas all that much, but I do enjoy a variety of foods that are banana-flavored. This includes but is not limited to Banana Laffy Taffy, Banana Slurpees, and Banana Chocolate Vivanno Smoothies. If I am going to eat a raw banana, it has to be slightly under-ripe. As soon as my bananas start developing brown spots, it's time to make banana bread!

Banana bread is delicious. Moist, dense, and slightly sweet. Even better if it's fresh from the oven with a teaspoon of butter, which is how I enjoyed mine today.

I've made this recipe before, but today I made a couple substitutions. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, and I used Egg Beaters instead of eggs. The former was an attempt to make the recipe healthier; the latter was because I was too lazy to buy eggs.

In other news, I'm ending my cheat day hiatus early. Who was I kidding? Four weeks without a cheat day? Ha. You can expect something rich, calorie-dense, and unabashedly indulgent next week.


Banana Bread

24 servings

1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:

1. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350˚F. Grease bottoms only of two 8x4-inch loaf pans or one 9x5-inch loaf pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray.

2. In large bowl, stir sugar and butter until well mixed. Stir in eggs until well mixed. Stir in bananas, buttermilk and vanilla; beat with spoon until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Divide batter evenly between 8-inch pans or pour into 9-inch pan.

3. Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minute in pans on wire rack.

4. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.

Source:

"Banana Bread." Recipe. Betty Crocker Cookbook: Heart Health Edition. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2008. 68.

No comments:

Post a Comment